Since U of I does not offer a dairy specific rotation, I decided to take one in Minnesota. It is affiliated with the University of MN College of Vet Med. I just rolled into town. This dairy is HUGE!
The weather has been so hot here that the maintenance guy who greeted me said that they lost 80 calves last week due to the heat. That's right EIGHTY! Holy Crap!!
I imagine I will get to see everything dairy here. My personal checklist: palpate lots of cows. I need to get better at finding the repro tract and diagnosing pregnancies. I'd like to assist with some dystocias, and get to help fix a DA or 2. And I plan to avoid all vats of shit (unlike the other day).
We stay in a pretty nice set up. There is an upstairs above the offices that is only a couple of years old. Every room has 2 beds. Every 2 rooms shares a bathroom. There are a ton of kitchen appliances. This place is in the middle of nowhere, though. I imagine I am going to get pretty bored. No alcohol is allowed either, so we can't even have a beer in the evenings. Guess I'll get some reading in and catch up on a few tv shows online. Maybe there is a town close by where we can go hang out for at least a night.
I'm also hoping for 1 day off to squeeze in a visit with Stefanie in Minneapolis.
No comments:
Post a Comment