Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Second week FARMS

So this week has been great. Coming back from such an intense externship, I was feeling a little down when it comes to large animals. This week has totally helped get my attitude back on track. I currently have 2 in house patients but have worked on laproscopically inseminating 25 ewes, castrating 2 bulls, vaccinating some heifers, and assessing a lame leg on a suuuper cute 16 day old angus today.

My in house patients are a valuable sow who was a show pig and is now a breeding sow. Her job is to pump out expensive babies. She has been lame and has gone off feed. The last 2 days have been rocky, but today she finally ate. All it takes is a little baby talk, and Jos holding a 60 cc syringe full of creamed corn to get a girl going. She gobbled down 10-12 syringes of yogurt, heavy cream, and creamed corn... DELISHHH!!! She is still refusing to eat out of her bowl, so I will continue to baby this girl for another day or so. If she still refuses, we may see if her mouth is bothering her or something like that. My hereford heifer has osteomyelitis in one of her toes that we arthrodeised today. Hopefully by drilling a hole through her toe, we can get the joint to fuse and make her sound again. She is also an expensive creature and her owner would like her to be an embryo donor cow in the future. So we will see if she can get through this. She is a super sweet girl, so I have been enjoying working with her so far.

I also was told that I was doing a great job managing my patients today, which was great. A little compliment every now and then is all I need to keep going full speed. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment